ChemSpider is accessed by thousands of research chemists around the world every single day. Continually aggregating and indexing chemical structures and associated data, ChemSpider currently draws upon over 400 free and commercial sources, making a single, searchable resource available to everybody, absolutely free.
Benefits of submitting your catalogue to ChemSpider
With tens of thousands of chemists around the world visiting the site daily your company has an opportunity to expose your products to users and catalyze potential sales.
As a chemical vendor your organization has an opportunity to be listed as a data source containing all chemicals that you offer commercially. Each organization has a dedicated webpage that you can manage and update (see here for an example). For a list of data sources and example organizations presently listed on ChemSpider please visit the Data Sources page for more information.
You will also be listed as a vendor on the ChemSpider page for each structure in your catalogue.
What does it cost?
We make no charge for hosting your compound collections. If you are interested in adding your chemicals to ChemSpider please contact us at chemspider-at-rsc.org.
What do I need to do?
Email us your catalogue (chemspider-at-rsc.org) and we will add it to our database for you. In order for us to be able to process your catalogue, it will need to be supplied as either an SDF file, or an Excel spreadsheet (.xls, .xlsx, .csv). Please carefully read the requirements below. If any of the required information is missing, we will be unable to process your catalogue.
- Structures for each compound in your catalogue (This must be an InChI or SMILES if your catalogue is supplied as an Excel file)
- A catalogue number or ID for each compound
If this data is missing, we will be unable to process your catalogue.
- Links to the product pages for each compound
- Chemical names, Registry Numbers, and other identifiers. If you have more than one per compound, please put them in separate fields or separate them by semicolon.
- Physicochemical properties like melting point or refractive index
We can’t accept:
- Files without structural information
- Pricing, purity or availability information – this will be filtered out
- Multiple chemical names separated by comma. Since many chemical names have commas in them, this causes problems when we try to separate them.
- Records where the structure is shown as a free base or acid, but other fields indicate that the product is a salt or hydrate. ie. if your compound is supplied as a salt this must be depicted in your structure.
When you have a catalogue file ready for deposition, please send it to us by email (chemspider-at-rsc.org). If your file is too large to email, contact us. For larger files we can supply FTP details or arrange to download it from your site.
- Include the URL for individual product pages. This enables users to get directly to the compound they are looking for and improves the chance they will buy from you.
- If you include physicochemical properties like melting point or refractive index in your file a link to your website will appear next to this data in the ChemSpider record. This feature is already being used by companies like Alfa Aesar and Merck Millipore – so why not join them and increase your visibility?
- We can add your spectra to the relevant record pages along with your company name and a link to your product. Vendors like Synthonix are already using this opportunity to increase their visibility. If you are interested in this opportunity, email us at chemspider-at-rsc.org for more information.
- ChemSpider attracts users from all around the world. If you have non-English synonyms for your products, including them in your file can help increase your exposure in your local market.
Preparing a Data Source description
Every Chemical Vendor on ChemSpider has a Data Source profile. Click here for an example page. When we first deposit your catalogue to the site, we will create a profile for you. This is the main source of information about your company on ChemSpider, so it is worthwhile to take some time to think about how you would like it to read.
Try to keep the description short and avoid complex formatting – remember the user can follow the link to your website for further information. When you hover over your name on a record page, this description will appear in a pop-up box; this display can only show a small amount of content.
Be sure to send us logo for your profile page. Logo files may be supplied as JPG, GIF or PNG files, and cannot be larger than 50kb in size.
If later on you decide you’d like to change the wording of your description, or if you want any other changes to your Data Source profile, drop us an email (chemspider-at-rsc.org) and we’ll make the changes for you.
Updating your Listing in ChemSpider
When you have an updated catalogue available, please email it to us at chemspider-at-rsc.org, and we will process it for you. We prefer to receive updates on a quarterly basis. In our experience this provides a good balance between the work we need to do to prepare catalogues for deposition, and making sure your listings are up-to-date.
In order to make sure that our Chemical Vendors list remains accurate and up-to-date, we need to receive catalogue updates at least once a year. If the catalogue you have listed on our site is more than a year old, we may at our discretion contact you to request an updated version. As a last resort, we may remove badly out-of-date listings from our site entirely – so please remember to send us regular updates.
How much does it cost to list my catalogue in ChemSpider?
This service is free. For other advertising opportunities, check out our page about Advertising on ChemSpider. Sponsorship opportunities are also available.
I don’t have InChIs or SMILES for my whole catalogue – can I send you X instead?
No – without structural information (structures in an SDF file, or SMILES or InChI in an excel file) we cannot process your catalogue. Other identifiers such as, registry numbers do not describe the structure of the compound, they cannot act as a substitute for this information.
I don’t have Synonyms/Registry Numbers for my whole catalogue – can you still process my catalogue?
Yes, we can process your catalogue without synonyms or registry numbers. However, if you do have this information available please do include it in your file as this can help people discover your listing.
My catalogue has changed – how can I update my listings on ChemSpider?
Please email us your updated catalogue file (chemspider-at-rsc.org) and we will update it for you. Since we check all large data sets before they are uploaded to our site, this is not something you can do yourself.
How frequently should I send you updates?
We prefer to receive updates quarterly. Checking catalogues for data quality and depositing them to the site is a time-consuming process.
How long will it take add my catalogue to your site?
We are usually able to upload catalogues within one week, however during busier times it may take longer. This may vary depending on the size of your file, how many other catalogues we have to process, and what other work is going on at the time. Please feel free to inquire after your catalogue if it has not been added to the site within two weeks.
We no longer sell X product. How can we remove it from your site?
Email us (chemspider-at-rsc.org) and we will remove your name from the list of vendors for that compound.
Can you give us structures for our compounds?
We cannot currently provide you with structure files from a list of compound names.
Can you help us with our website?
We do not currently provide solutions for chemical web stores.
Who should I contact for more information?
Send all questions to chemspider-at-rsc.org, where a member of our team will pick them up. Please do not directly contact individual team members – this could cause a delay in your question being responded to.