What is ChemSpider?
ChemSpider is a free chemical structure database providing fast access to over 28 million structures, properties and associated information. By integrating and linking compounds from more than 400 data sources, ChemSpider enables researchers to discover the most comprehensive view of freely available chemical data from a single online search. It is owned by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
ChemSpider builds on the collected sources by adding additional properties, related information and links back to original data sources. ChemSpider offers text and structure searching to find compounds of interest and provides unique services to improve this data by curation and annotation and to integrate it with users’ applications.
ChemSpider SyntheticPages, CS|SP, extends this model to cover reactions, providing quick publication, peer review and semantic enhancement of repeatable reactions.
ChemSpider won three international awards in 2010: the ALPSP Prize for Publishing Innovation, the Bio-IT World “Best Practices” award for Community Contribution, and the iExpo/KM forum “Most Innovative Software” award.
The ChemSpider mission is to:
- Bring together compound data on the web
- Over 28M compounds from over 400 data sources, deduplicated with the original source links provided
- Provide easy and powerful search options
- Structure and substructure search
- Validated synonyms improve accurate text search expansion
- Improve the quality of public chemistry data sources
- Automated chemistry checking of structures on loading
- Manual comment and correction tools offer crowdsourced curation with expert review
- Provide a publishing platform for the addition and preservation of data
- Registered users can upload their own structure sets online and have their own home page
- Registered users can add spectra, additional data, links, videos, audio to compound records
- ChemSpider SyntheticPages allows publishing of reactions
- Make this data accessible and reusable
- ChemSpider mobile view – a mobile-optimized website for access through mobile phone browsers
- ChemSpider Mobile – an IOS app available for iPhone and iPad
- Downloadable compound sets from search results
- Web services to query and deliver data
- Tools to embed linked structure images and spectra into web pages and blogs
- Integrate with publications
- Direct links to an expanding collection of structures in RSC journals
- Searching of Google Scholar, PubMed and RSC books, journals and databases via validated chemical name dictionaries expands accurate compound name searching
ChemSpider grows daily with more depositions, more links. You are invited to help build this community for chemists by contributing your structures, spectra, syntheses. You can also actively participate in the curation of the data; registration enables you to become a depositor or curator.
If you have an interest in uploading a data collection for viewing at ChemSpider please deposit your collection or contact us at chemspider-at-rsc.org
An introduction to ChemSpider